Do .vox files always contain the color palette?

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:50 AM
I seem to think i remeber reading somewhere that the .vox file only contains the palette if it is not the default palette. However in my tests it always seems to contain the palette information.

So does it always contain the palette?

Thank you.
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2015 at 11:03 AM
if you use the default palette 0 to save model, then the palette chunk won't be in .vox file
Dec 4, 2015 at 3:18 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2015 at 3:30 PM
Hey, yeah I just found that out. I was testing on a bunch of .vox files i have, and they all had a palette in them for some reason even though the palette appears to be the default one, but there must be a change in it somewhere im guessing, i eventually came across one that did not.

Do you happen to have a list for the palette with RGB codes? I can only assume there is a color tweaked in all the palettes of all these files that i would like to correct.

Would it be possible to add an option for force a .vox file to save the palette even if its default? My reasoning behind this is if you are going to use a .vox file in your application you have to then have to store the default palette within your application which you could avoid if you could simply parse out the palette at run-time...
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2015 at 12:32 AM
ya, I can change this in future version, but for already existing model you have to deal with that.

and the sample codes with default table is here :

https://voxel.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#MV Importer/MV Importer/mv_vox.h