Screen Shot(s)

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:21 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2015 at 4:46 PM
I just wanted to post a screen shot of the sorts of things I am using Magicavoxel for.

Basically, I am working on a couple of game mods for a source port of DooM that supports 3D models and voxels. I am having difficulty working with models, so I am using voxel objects instead. I find voxels make an excellent substitute for models. When scaled down to reduce the blockiness (Yes. I know that kind of goes against the point of using voxels.) the voxel objects are almost indistinguishable from models and look really nice in the game.

Here is a gold key I whipped up in just a couple of hours.

The key is not yet finished, but already looks quite smart.

I started with a nice photo of a key I found on the internet, scaled it to 126 pixels wide to match the maximum size of the Magicavovel editor, and imported it into Magicavoxel. I scaled the image in the Y direction to make it 18 voxels thick, then started whittling it down into shape. Working on the shaft of the key was easy, because it is round, and therefore easy to figure out what its cross section was. The bow of the key (the handle part) is a little more tricky, and is the part that is not finished yet, although it is progressing nicely.

So ... umm ... yes. I am not using the voxels for their nice blocky retro look in this case, but as a nice substitue for models. In that capacity they work very well.

I will add more screen shot posts as new voxel objects are created.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2015 at 2:42 AM
Edited Feb 11, 2015 at 2:42 AM
It looks awesome! and...yes, it is more like pixel art in this case;)