Blinky Voxel

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:38 AM
Edited Jun 25, 2014 at 2:47 AM
I am working on a game mod that includes a Pac-Man tribute level. I was originally working on sprite versions of the ghosts for the level, but then it occured to me voxels might be better in this case. Voxel ghosts would be 3D, but would still have the pixelated look of a 1980s arcade game.

I downloaded a copy of a Blinky sprite from Super Pac-Man. The sprite I decided to use comes from the game's cutscenes and is double the size of the ordinary sprite. I started by importing the sprite into Magicavoxel.

Using Pattern, I copied and pasted the sprite at 90° to give it some dimension, then started manually filling it in.

I made the eyes seperatly, then brought them in with pattern. The final results were pretty good.

The game I am doing the mod for does not add shading to voxels, so I decided to see what Blinky looked like without shading. I was delighted at how much voxel Blinky looks like the original sprite when the shading was turned off.

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Edited Jun 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM
nice work and procedures!

do you prefer adding an option to render each voxel with same color on each side? ( that is, remove shading )

and by the way, I have got some ideas to generate voxel volume from multiple PNG sprites (as you suggested in last post).

do you have any simple samples that I can do a test? Thanks!
Jun 27, 2014 at 11:38 PM
glkasumi wrote:
nice work and procedures!

do you prefer adding an option to render each voxel with same color on each side? ( that is, remove shading )

and by the way, I have got some ideas to generate voxel volume from multiple PNG sprites (as you suggested in last post).

do you have any simple samples that I can do a test? Thanks!
Thanks. :-)

I have no problem with the current rendering in Magicavoxel. In fact, it makes it much easier to edit. The shading makes it easier to make out the individual voxels, so I can see when I have made a mistake.

I am afraid I do not have any examples at the moment. Sorry about that. :-(
Nov 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM
I guess I should have posted this months ago, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Here is a screen shot of the finished Pac-man ghosts in the game.

(I am actually hidding inside the wall in this screen shot. The game does not render the void space, hence the tan game map showing up in much of the pic.)

The ghosts are 3D, but still retain the look of the 8 bit sprites from Pac-man.
Coordinator
Nov 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM
looks nice!