This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

My MagicaVoxel feedback

Jun 17, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Hi,

I've been playing with MagicaVoxel and have to say that it's the coolest and smoothest voxel editor I've worked with so far, my compliments!

I'd like to use this thread to give my personal feedback. Of course everyone is invited to join this discussion.

My first feedback — I'd love to see the following additions:
  • Option to pan the view, preferably using the middle mouse button. Now you can only zoom or rotate, unless I've missed something.
  • Option to export 3D files (like Obj) with the colors as polygon materials, as an alternative to a texture map.
  • Option to rotate around and zoom to the cursor position (maybe with a checkbox, with the setting saved for the next sessions).
  • Option to hide portions of a voxel scene, by dragging a bounding box volume around the part you want to make invisible, until you unhide the part again by pressing a button or key. Alternatively or additionally, front and back slicing options would be helpful, enabling you to work on a 2D slice inside the 3D volume.
  • X, Y, Z Indications of where your cursor is (e.g. 0, 16, 20), and live-updating dimensions of the lines or boxes you drag.
  • Left, right, front, back, top and bottom camera view presets.
Many thanks and keep up the great work!

All the best,

Metin
Sevensheaven.nl
Jun 18, 2014 at 4:03 AM
Edited Jun 18, 2014 at 4:08 AM
Yeah, you missed the Free camera option under the bottom right model display corner
Jun 18, 2014 at 6:52 AM
Edited Jun 18, 2014 at 6:59 AM
Hi Voxelbro,

Thanks for your reply. I had tried that option, but it doesn't pan / shift the view. It offers an alternative rotation without fixing the camera on the scene center.

I'd love to have a pan view option using the middle mouse button like in regular 3D editors, in both Camera Focus and Free Camera mode.
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2014 at 1:28 AM
Hi MetinSeven,

Thanks for your suggestions!

Nice ideas about camera control. currently you can use WASDQE to move camera position in Free Camera Mode.
Jun 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Thanks for your reply! I'll experiment with WASDQE in Free Camera mode.

Have a nice weekend,

Metin
Jun 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Added these two wishes:
  • X, Y, Z Indications of where your cursor is (e.g. 0, 16, 20), and live-updating dimensions of the lines or boxes you drag.
  • Left, right, front, back, top and bottom camera view presets.