"Remove" tool as modifier key

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:52 AM
Edited Aug 23, 2013 at 4:53 AM
Hello there GLKasumi,

First off, thank you so much for making such a fantastic app available. It feels great to use, and after trying out many voxel editors over the past few days MagicaVoxel is by far my favorite.

I am using the program in a bit of an unorthodox manner - as a way to generate polygon basemeshes for sculpting. As seen here :

https://vimeo.com/72089697

The MagicaVoxel output is really clean, being all quads without polygons inside the volume. All I need to do is merge vertices and separate elements into objects, so that's no big deal. It would be great to have export options for that kind of stuff in the future, but in its current state it is very usable already.

Now when it comes to working with voxels inside the app there is one thing that I notice is slowing me down : the fact that adding and removing voxels is bound to two keys, R and T.

Since I come from a sculpting background, I really wish I could simply work in "add" mode all the time, and just press down a modifier key like ctrl (Mudbox style) or alt (Zbrush style) to trigger remove mode. And then as soon as this key gets released, the app would return to add mode.

Photoshop has a slightly different approach, in the sense that the Eraser can be triggered temporarily by holding down its shortcut (E), allowing the user to erase pixels as long as the key is being held. And then on release, it goes back to the previously used tool.

But at the end of the day, ctrl or alt seem like better candidates, since pressing down a modifier key to "sculpt negatively" is accepted as pretty much standard in sculpting programs nowadays.

Therefore I think it would be great to have that in MagicaVoxel ; I know for sure that it would make me faster at building voxel model within the app.

Thanks a lot for this awesome tool again !!

P
Coordinator
Aug 24, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Edited Aug 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Hi Pior,

Thanks very much! I have seen your video before, it's amazing :)

Yes, you are right, toggling modes by one key is much more convenient than two keys.
I made a quick update for that :

By pressing CTRL, the brush mode will be temporarily changed between Attach and Erase Mode.
( actually you don't need to hold CTRL during the whole stroke, just press CTRL when you do the first click of that stroke )

Besides, I think that welding vertices is also very useful, I may add some options to the obj exporter in the future :)

Thanks for your suggestions:)
Aug 25, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Oh - that was very quick !!

It works perfectly with ctrl - and I can tell that it makes things faster already !
Thank you so much for the features, it all feels very natural now :)

Regards,

P
Nov 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM
How about...

LMB - add voxels
RMB - remove voxels
Dragging middle button: Rotate view. Of course with fallback for this 1 guy who don't have 3 button mouse at this point: Shift+LMB

Then Ctrl+drag could be relegated to painting.

Also from other control suggestions, I think A/D keys should strafe instead of rotate view (if you really want rotation, you can put it under q/e)
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2013 at 6:28 AM
darkhog wrote:
How about...

LMB - add voxels
RMB - remove voxels
Dragging middle button: Rotate view. Of course with fallback for this 1 guy who don't have 3 button mouse at this point: Shift+LMB

Then Ctrl+drag could be relegated to painting.

Also from other control suggestions, I think A/D keys should strafe instead of rotate view (if you really want rotation, you can put it under q/e)
Hi darkhog,

For camera control, the default mode is Focus mode which is always looking at the center of model, so A/D Q/E acts as rotating.

While if you press the button just on the right side of command line, if will change the camera mode to FPS mode, in which case, ASDWQE acts as moving/strafing;

Currently, CTRL+LMB is to switch between attach and erase brushes, ALT+LMB works as RMB( rotating );

Switching to Paint brush is also useful in some cases, I will consider it;

For the middle button, I think it make things a little complicate ( especially for those who use stylus pen to work ).

Thanks for your advices:)
Feb 6, 2015 at 1:50 AM
Hello, what is the modifier key for Mac? CTRL+LMB doesn't seem to switch, and CMD+LMB seems to toggle loop.

BTW, this program is truly awesome. I've been using software for 30 years now, and this is one of the better apps I've used. Good job!
Feb 6, 2015 at 4:34 PM
dejayc wrote:
Hello, what is the modifier key for Mac? CTRL+LMB doesn't seem to switch, and CMD+LMB seems to toggle loop.

BTW, this program is truly awesome. I've been using software for 30 years now, and this is one of the better apps I've used. Good job!
Hello,
ctrl+lmb toggle loop on windows too
before 0.94 it works (add/remove switch)
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2015 at 2:27 AM
dejayc wrote:

Hi,

The switch functionality of CTRL+LBUTTON has been removed.

I'm considering about using SHIFT +LBUTTON to replace it in the next update. Thanks!