This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Transparent Background for Screenshot

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:20 AM
Hi,

I have been experimenting with this program and really like it and want to use it in some projects.

I have hit an issue and am hoping there is an option/solution. When I take a screenshot of an object the output is in png but the background is filled. Is it possible to have a transparent background when taking a screenshot?

Thanks,
Guy B.
Nov 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Do you have GIMP? You can use GIMP to remove the background.
Nov 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM
I use Photoshop (18 years experience) and yes I know I can remove the background manually but it would be best to not have it in the first place to preserve any shadows.
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2014 at 7:40 AM
gberthia wrote:
I use Photoshop (18 years experience) and yes I know I can remove the background manually but it would be best to not have it in the first place to preserve any shadows.
Hi, will add that feature in the renderer. Thanks:)
Marked as answer by gberthia on 11/21/2014 at 5:23 AM
Nov 21, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Cool thanks!
Feb 6, 2015 at 3:00 AM
Just tried out v0.95a and noticed the option has been added, thanks very appreciated!!!
Feb 9, 2015 at 7:53 PM
Hi glkasumi,

Would it be possible to render the shadow out even when the 'ground' plane is switched off. Compositing images into other images would then be really straightforward.

Understand its not as simple as a switch here or there but would be a great addition along with the transparency.

Regards,

r3v3rb
Feb 9, 2015 at 8:17 PM
r3v3rb wrote:
Hi glkasumi,

Would it be possible to render the shadow out even when the 'ground' plane is switched off. Compositing images into other images would then be really straightforward.

Understand its not as simple as a switch here or there but would be a great addition along with the transparency.

Regards,

r3v3rb
I agree, this would be a nice option to have.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2015 at 3:24 AM
Hi r3v3rb,

the difficulty is that shadow is not something like transparency to darken the color but is the actual light intensity received by the surface from sun light or indirect light bounces.

However it is still possible to implement such effect by some tricks. The trade-off is to treat the ground separately from the other objects which may makes the codes a little complicated.

I'll do some experiments when time is available:)