How Is the 512^3 Editor Coming Along?

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM
As thrilled as I am about the new renderer (It is undeniably gorgeous.), I am most interested in the new editor. The 126^3 editor is really slowing progress on my projects (as mentioned previously), and I can really use a little of that 512^3 goodness to get things going.

So how are things coming along?
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Hi,

this weekend I will update version 0.94 of the editor, it will include :
  1. Multilevel folders
  2. Movable focus camera
  3. Improved Loop/Circle Brush
  4. Primitive Shapes( cylinder and so on...)
  5. Mirror Model Tool
    here is a demo video for it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdxjmQ6RHBc
after this update, I think the work for editing single model is almost done, so I will begin to develop a level editor.

that is, you can put multiple models in the same scene and manipulate their transform ( translation, rotation, etc )

each model will still has the limit of 128^3, but the whole scene will have much larger space (e.g. 512^3)

How do you think about this plan? Thanks:)
Nov 5, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2014 at 10:16 PM
(Scratches head confusedly.)

So I still won't be able to make voxel objects larger then 126^3 to use in my projects?

Would I be able to export the entire scene as a single voxel object?
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Sure. It will just affect the way of building scene/object, not exporting.
Nov 9, 2014 at 10:00 PM
From what I understand about how your program works, it sounds like a good solution under the hood. For editing though, that still forces me to figure out how to subdivide the space, making it not that much different from what we already have. I can already use MagicaVoxel to produce models & cookie cutter environment models and then build a level in Unity for example.

I don't know exactly what you plan to do, but If you could make the tools edit multiple 126^3 grids (so practically it's a larger space) that would be very useful. I hit the 126^3 limitation hard because I was making open environments and had a higher foot per voxel scale. Or just in this level editor, I would prefer it be possible to build spaces right in that scene (and allow spaces to overlap) so we can have non-destructive editing workflows.

W/e you choose to do, great work, I really am looking forward to the editor update :)
Nov 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Hi everyone!

If I read this correctly, rather than having one big object you would have multiple smaller objects and be able to edit them all at once.
So for example if you were building something like a city you could build it by using one 128³ block of voxels for each city block, and so to answer LIB53's last question:
YES!
GLKasumi said:
"so I will begin to develop a level editor. that is, you can put multiple models in the same scene and manipulate their transform ( translation, rotation, etc )"
Meaning (I think) that each 128³ block will be its own layer, each layer will be moveable, rotatable and editable so if you make 4³ blocks of voxels you will have the desired 512³ editable area that you were after but in segments. I am assuming that all these "sub blocks" will be visible at the same time, so in the example of a city you would be able to see a large area, not just one city block.
Bare in mind here that a heavily edited 512³ object could be a LOT of polygons, I am a ZBrush user and already see amusing polycounts from this program.

Since each 128³ voxel box is a single object in and of itself it might be desirable to weld the edges where they meet each other in your 3D software to create a single continuous object out of them. That process varies wildly from program to program, ZBrush does it one way and Blender makes me angry for example (meaning I don't know how and finding out is complicated at best).

Cheers, and thank you for a WONDERFUL program!
Mealea Ying
Coordinator
Nov 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM
LIB53 wrote:
From what I understand about how your program works, it sounds like a good solution under the hood. For editing though, that still forces me to figure out how to subdivide the space, making it not that much different from what we already have. I can already use MagicaVoxel to produce models & cookie cutter environment models and then build a level in Unity for example.

I don't know exactly what you plan to do, but If you could make the tools edit multiple 126^3 grids (so practically it's a larger space) that would be very useful. I hit the 126^3 limitation hard because I was making open environments and had a higher foot per voxel scale. Or just in this level editor, I would prefer it be possible to build spaces right in that scene (and allow spaces to overlap) so we can have non-destructive editing workflows.

W/e you choose to do, great work, I really am looking forward to the editor update :)
I'm planning to work on a prototype firstly which only allows manipulate objects in the same space,
and then try to integrate it with the editor together to build up the whole pipeline:)