This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Another Request for Larger Grid Size

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:20 PM
This subject was already brought up in this thread but since this is a subject that directly impacts me, I have decided to bring it up again.

Is it possible to enlarge or eliminate the current 126 x 126 x 126 size limit in Magicavoxel?

I know you said larger grid sizes slow the program down, but how about allowing larger sizes but adding a warning popup to let users know larger sizes slow things down?

I am working on two hobby projects in a modified version of the old DooM engine that supports both 3D models and voxels. I have not had much success with the 3D models. Over the past couple of months voxels have proven to be a viable alternative to 3D models. Followers of my projects and myself have been very excited and entusiastic about the addition of voxels ...

... but ...

I am finding the 126 x 126 x 126 size restriction in Magicavoxel to be a severe constraint. In many cases it is preventing me from from creating objects for the projects I am working on. I can give many examples where this is so.

For example:

--A few days ago I used Magicavoxel to turn a PNG image of a puddle of blood into a voxel puddle to put on the floor in DeiMWolf. I had to limit the size of the image to 126 wide, and when I brought the resulting voxel object into the game its resolution was much coarser than the texture of the floor it was sitting on. On the forum and in instant messenger conversations I received comments like this:
That looks really, really good. Shame about the resolution though, it really messes up the edge.
A larger voxel object made with a larger version of the same image could have been scaled to match the resolution of the surrounding floor. I could also have made it 3 or 4 voxels thick instead of 1 voxel thick and given it a rounded edge. The 126 x 126 x 126 size limit prevents me from doing this however.

-- In DeiMWolf there is a relief that appears on several of the walls. Right now the relief is just a texture on the wall. It would look much better if it actually projected out from the wall like a real relief. All I would have to do is import the image into Magicavoxel, use scaling to give it some thickness, then sculpt it to add details and round off the edges.

How big is the relief?

368 x 243

Nope. I can't do it in Magicavoxel, because of the size limit.

I suppose I could chop the image into smaller pieces, and make multiple voxel objects. Sculpting all of these pieces seperately would make it difficult to match up their contours at the edges of course. Also, I would have to place multiple objects in the game for that one relief, and would have to do so where ever the relief occurs.

--In DeiMwolf there are portraits on some of the walls. Again, they are just flat wall textures, but they would look many times better if their frames actually had some dimension.

I could make voxel versions of the frames, but how big are the frames?

232 x 312

Dang.

--There are shields on the walls in DeiMWolf. Wait. Too big.

--There is a flagpole in DeiMWolf, and it ... is too big.

--There is a plaque on another wall in DeiMWolf ... and ... too big again.

--There is a statue ... Awe forget it!

--In the Ultimate Chex Quest there is a sign that hangs on the side of a diner ... and it is too big again. Dagnabbit!

--Vehicles parked on the city streets in The Ultimate Chex Quest?

Nope.

I am thwarted by the size limit again.

--The Ultimate Chex Quest begins with the player standing in a spaceport landing bay with his trusty space ship standing behind him. The space ship is currently a sprite, and looks large and flat, and would really look 10 times better if it was a voxel object, ... but it looks like there is a bit of a pattern forming here ...
Coordinator
Jul 20, 2014 at 3:15 AM
I can totally understand your feeling......

The currently limit of the size is mainly from the rendering and storage part.

I am trying several ways to get rid of it now...

btw, what is your preferred maximum editing size?
Jul 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Sorry for the slow response.

I guess I had better start by explaining the game mod I am working on.

It is called DeiMWolf, and it is a mod for DooM based on the old game, Wolfenstein 3D. Wolfenstein 3D was a very early first person shooter. The levels were not really 3D however. They were put together using blocks on a 2 dimentional grid with each block representing roughly 8 x 8 x 8 feet. In DeiMWolf I preserve the map layouts. I also have a resolution on my sprites and textures of about 1 pixel to every quarter inch, and in order for voxel object to look right it would have to match that resolution. With the largest object fitting inside those 8 x 8 x 8 foot blocks, is means I would require a maximum size of 384 x 384 x 384 voxels.

I can hear you face palm from here.

I know this would be murder on the render, and I will wager you think doing voxels at a higher resolution is losing track of the reason for using voxels in the first place ...

... and you are probably right.

I will also point out that because the viewport camera always aims at the centre of objects being edited, it is often awkward to edit voxels out near the edge of the object. For larger objects greater than 126 x 126 x 126 this problem would be amplified.

My other project does not have such a specific set of parameters to deal with, but it does have some larger object like the afore mentioned space ship.

I hope this is useful information for you, and not just problematic.
Aug 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Edited Aug 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM
I really need a bigger grid as well. I thought I could get away with 126 cubed, but it's somewhat limiting.

I'm trying to use MagicaVoxel to accelerate level design. I want level designers to be able to white box their entire map in MagicaVoxel.

The unit conversion is a problem though. If I say a character is 2 units tall, and a character is up to 8ft, then each unit is 4ft. That's only 504ft cubed feet of space :(

Of course I can change the ratio, but that sacrifices detail. I've actually tried designing and running maps from MagicaVoxel (a stunningly fast workflow btw), and I know from trying that it's quite limiting.

This is a very exciting possibility for me, so I hope you manage to increase the resolution limit, or let us take the risk like how other great DCC apps let us. No other editor is as beautiful as MagicaVoxel! Thank you very much for building this software.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I'll give me 2 cents on preferred max size if you don't mind. From my brief experimenting, I would like 4x more resolution, so 504 cubed. Though, 504 units up is overkill, even 126 units up can be excessive. Something like 504 x 504 x 126 sounds ideal to me.
Coordinator
Aug 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Hi everyone,

recently all my time and efforts are spent on the MagicaVoxel renderer which is now able to support up to 512^3 volume size.

as soon as I finished the major part of the renderer, I will return back to the development of large scale editor. Thanks!
Oct 18, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Hi.

How is the new editor coming along?